Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade French Onion Soup



We made French Onion Soup. 
It was delicious!
I loosely based the recipe off of two different ones.
Here is one, and the other.

First I sliced 6 large onions with my mandolin, setting it on the thinnest setting.  I love that thing! It made slicing a bajillion onions a much quicker, and non-teary experience. I was done in like 10 minutes.


Look at all those lovely onion slices!

I cooked them in 3/4 cups unsalted butter over medium heat for like 45 minutes. I stirred now and then to keep them from burning. You are aiming for caramelized onions. I didn't quite make it there, so maybe you need to turn the heat up a bit.

Then I added 8 cups water, and enough beef bouillon for 6 of those cups, and chicken bouillon for 2 of those cups.
Also, I added salt, pepper, 2 bay leaves and a few tsp chopped garlic.
It simmered for about 30 minutes.

Then we made "giant" croutons. I just buttered both sides of some wheat bread, and put shredded parmesan on mine, let it melt and topped my soup with it. (I forgot these pics!) Those buttery toasts made it over the top!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails